Sunday 13 May 2012

The Fish Place - May 12 2012


I've more or less been a resident of Fort McMurray for the past 12 years and I will have to admit this was my first time going to The Fish Place. I'm not one for fish, nor am I one for places that fish is what the place is all about. I decided to bite the bullet and see for myself why this part of Fort McMurray's food culture has been thriving and see what I've been missing.

I didn't end up taking pictures of the interior but I will admit I found it very fitting, in a good way. The name of the restaurant resonates throughout the whole restaurant. Lobster traps, nautical upholstery on the bench seats and the tables too. I really enjoyed this aspect of it.

The servers were friendly and despite how busy this place was on a Saturday afternoon we were well looked after.

For starters we went with the Alligator. Now I've never had alligator before so I wasn't too sure what to expect. the meat itself isn't bad and the sauce it was served in was good but for a guy who's all about pub food it was certainly a change of taste. Paired with the garlic bread and it turned into a great way to start off lunch.

For my meal I ordered off the lunch menu and got the New Orleans style Cajun Shrimp on Rice. What I was anticipating was something that was spicy, a little bit of heat and what I got was this:

Now if they said it was Italian, then yeah I wouldn't have ordered it but I would have at least understood what this was trying to be. This looked and tasted like it came out of a spaghetti sauce bottle. There was no hint of cajun spice that I was anticipating . Fiona (@fimango) on the other hand got the Mahi Mahi with pineapple salsa:

And for a guy that doesn't like fish, I absolutely loved this. I would recommend this meal in a heart beat. The fish was done perfectly and was moist, full of flavour and extremely appealing.
While dining, I mentioned on twitter that I was here for lunch and Melissa (@BellydancinGeek) recommended the cheese cake for dessert, let me just say this was awesome.

 While my main course wasn't what I was expecting nor was it all that appealing, everything else that we had made up for it. I recommend the Mahi Mahi and I recommend the cheese cake. If you're feeling adventurous try the alligator but unless you're a fan of italian cajun shrimp I would stay clear of the New Orleans Cajun shrimp. I would most certainly come back and try more items off of the menu. It was a pleasant experience and I can really see why this place has been a main stay in Fort McMurray.


Side Note: I'm going to try to do more blogging in the future. Make sure to follow me on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ymmfoodcritic or on my personal account http://www.twitter.com/twentynineyears


No comments:

Post a Comment